Essential Competencies of Physiotherapists in Global Health
This online physiotherapy course for clinicians and students preparing for global health work or work with minority populations in the field of physiotherapy. This online learning module encompasses introductory Global Health concepts. Global Health Core Competencies have been identified in research which this course aims to develop.
Upon the completion of this course, participants will be able to:
1. Explain what global health is and global citizenry.
2. Implement the concepts of the global citizenry during travel
3. Summarize disability and compare several frameworks that address disability
4. Classify several global organizations and explain current global initiatives
5. Interpret post-colonial theory through Canadian history and affected minorities
6. Explain medical tourism and the potential harms of foreign aid
7. Differentiate ethical foreign involvement through introspective reflection
8. Explain power and privilege and execute self-reflective practices to unravel biases and develop an interpretation of one’s motivations for international involvement
9. Explain cultural competency and implement self-reflective tools to assess skill
10. Implement knowledge gained in objectives to develop Global Health Competencies
The Global Health Division (GHD) is comprised of a passionate group of physical therapists who have worked in or are interested in working in resource-poor settings globally. We advocate for sustainable collaboration that elevates the profession of physiotherapy worldwide.
Our Vision is to become a strong advocate group for the role of physiotherapists in the area of global health. The GHD strives to become a reliable and valuable resource for its members, through providing access to research, policies, experiences of other members, and opportunities.The GHD aims to foster an understanding of how socioeconomic determinants of health underpin health inequities and how global work comprises responsible strategies to achieve health equity. The GHD strives to support its members to get involved in ethical, collaborative, sustainable and effective global health work. The GHD endeavours to promote the wellbeing of Indigenous Peoples through advocating for changes within the physiotherapy profession in the spirit of reconciliation.
The mission of the Global Health Division (GHD) is to advocate for the unique role that physiotherapists have in global health and to encourage Canadian physiotherapists to engage in ethical global health work.