Biopsychosocial: It's More Than Just a Buzzword
About The Course:
This complimentary online physiotherapy course by Carolyn Vandyken is a call to change your practice. Stop, and really take a hard look at your practice of treating pain. Is it complicit with the current research and knowledge, or are you stuck in a model that is outdated and doesn’t serve us or our population well?
In This Online Physiotherapy Course, You’ll Learn:
- To move beyond “talking” about a biopsychosocial model of care towards truly incorporating this model into your practice.
- To commit to understanding the pain system as well as biomechanics and tissue pathology.
- To utilize a framework that accounts for a sensitized nervous system as well as a solid understanding of mechanical pain
What’s Included In This Online Physiotherapy Course?
- More than 1 hour of video lessons.
- Bite-sized information: All of the content is broken down into bite-sized chunks, so that you can easily watch a video on your break, over lunch, or for a few minutes at night.
- Lifetime access. You can return to this course at any time. If any material is updated or added, you will have access to the new content.
- Certificate of completion. Once you've completed the course, you will receive a certificate for your professional portfolio.
- Downloadable slides/workbook so you can follow along as you take the course.
- Access to this course is through Embodia, and although some of the content may be downloadable (such as a workbook or slides if included), the majority cannot. This is to protect the instructor’s material and to prevent the content from being shared freely on the Internet.
- Embodia is mobile-friendly and can be accessed by phone, tablet, and computer.
- There is no start date or completion date. You can complete the course at your own pace.
- You will be sent a receipt as soon as you purchase this course. This receipt can be used for education grants and for tax purposes.
- A special coupon for 15% off any other online course on Embodia Academy when you’ve completed this course!
- 19 patient exercises that can be shared with your patients electronically through Embodia with a $15/month subscription. This allows your patients to access what you send them on a mobile or web app, track their progress and receive push notifications to remind them to do their exercises. Click here to learn more about Embodia Home Exercise Program
Who Is This Course For?
This online course is for all rehabilitation professionals, including physiotherapists, physiotherapy assistants, occupational therapists, occupational therapy assistants, chiropractors, naturopathic doctors, athletic therapists, massage therapists, exercise therapists, medical doctors, nurses, midwives, kinesiologists among others. This course is also relevant for movement specialists, yoga teachers, yoga therapists, and those interested in learning more about pelvic floor health and wellness.
Can I Share a Course with a Friend or Colleague? How does the Group Discount Work?
Each course purchase is for a single viewer only, and may not be shared. If you are interested in group/staff viewing, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange a group discount code specifically for your group. The larger the group, the larger the discount. Each individual must purchase separately with the discount code, and agree to the terms and conditions (legal). This provides each participant with their own copy to review at their pace, in addition to the opportunity to interact with colleagues as you all work collectively through the material.
Contact us at email@example.com and we will respond to your request within 2 business days.
Carolyn graduated from McMaster University in 1986 as a physiotherapist and has practiced in a wide variety of clinical settings, focusing primarily on orthopedics. She has been a McKenzie credentialed physiotherapist since 1999 and has been a member of the Canadian College of Medical Acupuncture since 2002.
She received a certificate in Cognitive Behavioral Therapy for Health Care Professionals from Wilfred Laurier University in 2016. Her clinical focus changed to Pelvic Health and Incontinence in 2001. Carolyn was the co-founder of Pelvic Health Solutions, a Canadian-based post-graduate teaching company. Carolyn presents extensively internationally on pelvic health and central sensitization. Carolyn has been using telerehabilitation in her clinical practice for the past 4 years.
She has published several framework articles on integrating central pain mechanisms into clinical practice, a pain education book, and several chapters in textbooks on pelvic pain and central sensitization. She is actively involved in research with Dr. Sinead Dufour at McMaster University and has published multiple studies on the connection between low back pain and pelvic floor dysfunction.
Carolyn won the prestigious Woman of Distinction award from the YWCA in 2003 for her work in pelvic floor rehabilitation. Carolyn won the distinguished Education Award from the Ontario Physiotherapy Association in 2015. She co-owns her practice in Muskoka, Physio Works Muskoka along with her daughter, Brittany Vandyken.
Course Material included in this course
Biopsychosocial: It's More Than Just a Buzzword
Welcome and Course Slides
A New Perspective on Pain
We Are Stuck In The Biomedical Model
Why Do We Need to Know This
How Does This Fit With Our Understanding Of Persistent Pelvic Pain?
Do We Need To Change Our Practice?
Other Videos I Mentioned In This Course
Never Stop Learning (Suggestions)