Dynamic Core for Kids - Module 1 ONLY
About The Course
Dynamic Core for Kids (DC4K) is a new approach to core stability for children with challenges. Shelley Mannell, PT and Julie Wiebe, PT developed and present this online course based on the approach. The course is presented here as an individual learning Module. The online physiotherapy course can be purchased by selecting the bundle option at checkout - you will then have access to Modules 1-7, which is approximately 14 hours of learning.
- Articulate the evolution of practice from a musculoskeletal interpretation of core strength, to an understanding of the dynamic systems interaction of the “anticipatory core” with the intra-abdominal pressure system, the sensory systems, the “reactive core” and the brain for a responsive “Core Strategy” that meets the needs of pediatric patient populations.
- Compare and contrast the research evidence discussing anticipatory, reactive and compensatory postural control deficits in three different pediatric populations (CP, DCD, ASD).
- Discuss typical and atypical development of anticipatory core components, postural control, and common compensations in a variety of pediatric populations.
- Analyze postural alignment and functional movement with new attention to deficits in maturation, breathing mechanics, sensory deficits and faulty central stability strategies as contributing variables to a pediatric patient presentation.
- Integrate the use of optimized breath mechanics as the gateway to anticipatory central stability and the postural control system.
- Execute external qualitative evaluation of the diaphragm, pelvic floor, TA and their coordinated function via observational, and palpation analysis of postural alignment, dysfunctional breathing patterns, muscular recruitment patterns, movement strategies and habits, and postural control compensations during movement tasks.
- Develop intervention programs that coordinate the “anticipatory core” foundation with more superficial postural muscle groups (postural synergists) to promote aligned posture, improved balance and functional movement patterns in pediatric patients.
- Learn to monitor, cue, and modify functional and exercise tasks to facilitate the integration of Core Strategy into clinical programming for a variety of patient populations.
- Apply the components of intervention programs, addressing the interaction of sensory systems and core stability in several diagnoses common in pediatrics (CP, hydrocephalus, ASD, toe walking and torticollis).
Who Is This Course For?
This course is designed to integrate current theory and practice in pediatric treatment with a systems approach that uses the diaphragm and breathing mechanics as an access point for core stability for children. This provides an attainable and accessible starting point to impact multiple systems that are intertwined with core stability: alignment, postural control, balance, sensory processing, and emotional self-regulation as well as functional gross and fine motor skills.
The physiotherapist/physical therapist (PT), occupational therapist (OT), and speech-language pathologist (SLP) will gain the theoretical basis and clinical reasoning for a neuromuscular systems approach to core stability to create a foundation for clinically relevant programs from assessment to evidenced-based treatment plan development. Co-professional collaboration and referral will be stressed.
The physiotherapist assistant (PTA), occupational therapy assistant (OTA), and speech-language pathologist assistant (SLPA) will gain insight into the theoretical basis for the assessment process and reasoning behind the approach integrated into the therapist designed POC to aide with the implementation and progression of treatment programs to ensure continuity of care.
What’s Included In This Online Healthcare Course?
- 2 hours of video lessons
- Bite-sized information: all of the content is broken down into bite-sized chunks, so that you can easily watch a video on your break, over lunch, or for a few minutes at night.
- Lifetime access. You can return to this course at any time. If any material is updated or added, you will have access to the new content.
- Certificate of completion. Once you've completed the course, you will receive a certificate for your professional portfolio.
- Downloadable slides/workbook so you can follow along as you take the course
- Access to this course is through Embodia, and although some of the content may be downloadable (such as a workbook or slides if included), the majority cannot. This is to protect the instructor’s material and to prevent the content from being shared freely on the Internet.
- Embodia is mobile-friendly and can be accessed by phone, tablet, and computer.
- There is no start date or completion date. You can complete the course at your own pace.
- You will be sent a receipt as soon as you purchase this course. This receipt can be used for education grants and for tax purposes.
- A Special Coupon for 15% off any other online course on Embodia Academy when you’ve completed this course!
How Long Do I Have Access To The Course?
Once you have purchased the courses, they are yours to keep and watch at your own pace. Pause, review, etc for as long as you like. So you can buy now, and watch later when time permits!
What Is The Difference Between The Live And Online Courses?
The content for DC4K Live and DC4K Online is essentially the same. The online version has some additional materials, videos, and self-guided labs to assist with online learning.
Can I Share The Course With A Friend Or A Colleague? How Does The Group Discount Work?
Each course purchase is for a single viewer only. If you are interested in group/staff viewing, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange a group discount code specifically for your group. The larger the group, the larger the discount. Each individual must purchase separately with the discount code and agree to the terms and conditions (legal). This provides each participant with their own copy to review at their pace, in addition to the opportunity to interact with colleagues as you all work collectively through the material. Real-time group online mentoring for Q and A is available with Shelley to support your distance learning as you work through each module or after completing the course.
Is The Course Eligible For CEU's?
This course is approved by ProCert, a program provided by the Federation of State Boards of Physical Therapy (FSBPT), that measures the activity for quality against clearly articulated and thoroughly researched standards and criteria. Please review all information provided as ProCert’s requirements are comprehensive and the process may be more rigorous than other evaluative programs.
Contact us at email@example.com and we will respond to your request within 2 business days.
PT, MPT, BSc.
Julie Wiebe, has over 20 years of experience in both Sports Medicine and Pelvic Health. Her passion is to return women to fitness and sport after injury and pregnancy. She advocates for the awareness of pelvic health issues in fitness and promotes innovative solutions for women through her blog, videos and social media. She shares her evidence-based, integrative approach internationally with both professionals and women through live and online educational programs.
Her Diaphragm/Pelvic Floor Piston Science concepts have been successfully incorporated by rehab practitioners and fitness professionals into avariety of populations. Julie is a sought after speaker to provide continuing education courses and lectures internationally at clinics, academic institutions, professional organizations, state and national professional conferences.
Find out more and connect with Julie at www.juliewiebept.com or via social media Twitter/FB/IG JulieWiebePT.
PT, BSc , BHSc,
Shelley Mannell is a Physical Therapist with over 30 years experience serving babies, children, and adolescents across a spectrum of neurological and developmental disabilities. She integrates a broad range of clinical skills and research to provide innovative neurobiology-informed treatment of children with movement disorders. Shelley founded HeartSpace Physical Therapy for Children in order to support clients and families as they matured through the lifespan.
Shelley began teaching as a clinical faculty member in the Faculty of Rehabilitation Science at McMaster University and remains committed to improving the care for children through clinical research and education. Shelley is certified in both NDT and SI. She is also a children’s yoga and meditation facilitator and the co-creator of Dynamic Core for Kids, an evidence-based approach to central stability for children with motor and sensory challenges. Shelley also provides mentoring to therapists world-wide through her blog and her online program. As a respected international speaker, Shelley discusses the dynamic systems nature of the development of postural control and its application to assessment and intervention for children with sensory and motor challenges. www.heartspacept.com
Course Material included in this course
Welcome and Resources!
Theory, Concepts, Evidence