Diaphragm/Pelvic Floor Piston for Adult Population - Module 1 ONLY
About The Course
This online course is module 1 of a course designed to equip adult rehabilitation professionals with the evidence, theoretical constructs and practical clinical tools to provide a neuromuscular, systems-based clinical model for postural control, inclusive of the teamwork between the diaphragm, pelvic floor, and pressure systems.
In this course, Julie Wiebe provides an in-depth discussion of the theory, evidence, and concepts for the Piston Science approach, a neuromuscular and systems based path to creating central stability from the inside-out. The diaphragm is presented as the intersection of multiple systems, with breath mechanics as an accessible gateway for all populations to a new model of the dynamic trunk and pelvic control. In addition, dysfunction across the lifespan is explored from this new perspective.
Musculoskeletal health, movement inefficiencies, neuromuscular coordination deficits, pelvic health, and fitness limitations are intertwined needs when caring for the whole client. The Piston Science series equips participants with the tools, strategies, and clinical reasoning to build programs that simultaneously address orthopedic, pelvic health, and sports performance issues.
This integrative, systems approach highlights building brain strategies over simply boosting capacity (strength, length, mobility, etc.) to re-establish an automatic, dynamic central stability with carryover into movement, function, and fitness.
Please note that this is Module 1 of the course. You can purchase the entire course, which includes Module 1 and Modules 2-7 by clicking 'Buy Course' on the top left side of this page. You will be shown the bundled option.
What’s Included In This Online Healthcare Course?
- Over 2 hours of video lessons.
- Lifetime access. You can return to this course at any time. If any material is updated or added, you will have access to the new content.
- Certificate of completion. Once you've completed the course, you will receive a certificate for your professional portfolio.
- Downloadable slides/workbook so you can follow along as you take the course
- Access to this course is through Embodia, and although some of the content may be downloadable (such as a workbook or slides if included), the majority cannot. This is to protect the instructor’s material and to prevent the content from being shared freely on the Internet.
- Embodia is mobile-friendly and can be accessed by phone, tablet, and computer.
- There is no start date or completion date. You can complete the course at your own pace.
- You will be sent a receipt as soon as you purchase this course. This receipt can be used for education grants and for tax purposes.
- A Special Coupon for 15% off any other online course on Embodia Academy when you’ve completed this course!
Who Is This Course For?
This course is designed to equip rehabilitation professionals with a clinical reasoning framework that will enable clinicians to think through the needs of patients with fitness goals at any level. Viewers will gain a deeper understanding of how, why and when to implement the strategies presented in Piston Series to build programs that prepare women for a return to any task, fitness regimen or sports demand.
- The physiotherapist/physical therapist (PT), occupational therapist (OT), and speech-language pathologist (SLP) will gain the theoretical basis, clinical reasoning and practical tools for breaking down symptomatic functional and fitness tasks in order to build them back up toward a client’s fitness goals. From interviewing and assessment to evidenced-based treatment plan development and progressions, online participants will observe, and participate through self-reflection, the integration of pelvic, musculoskeletal, and performance health concepts in recorded treatment examples. Co-professional collaboration and referral will be stressed.
- The physiotherapist assistant (PTA), occupational therapy assistant (OTA), and speech-language pathologist assistant (SLPA) will gain insight into the theoretical basis for the assessment process and reasoning behind the POC designed by the therapist. Observation, and participation through self-reflection, of the integration of pelvic, musculoskeletal, and performance health concepts in recorded treatment examples will assist with monitoring and modifying treatment progressions to ensure continuity of care.
- The Athletic Trainer/Kinesiologist (AT/Kin) will gain insight into the theoretical basis, clinical reasoning, and practical tools for integration of the POC into an athlete's training program. Observation, and participation through self-reflection, of the integration of pelvic, musculoskeletal, and performance health concepts in recorded treatment examples will assist with monitoring and modifying an athlete's program to keep pelvic and musculoskeletal health in mind.
Can I Share a Course with a Friend or Colleague? How does the Group Discount Work?
Each course purchase is for a single viewer only, and may not be shared. If you are interested in group/staff viewing, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange a group discount code specifically for your group. The larger the group, the larger the discount. Each individual must purchase separately with the discount code, and agree to the terms and conditions (legal). This provides each participant with their own copy to review at their pace, in addition to the opportunity to interact with colleagues as you all work collectively through the material.
Contact us at email@example.com and we will respond to your request within 2 business days.
PT, MPT, BSc.
Julie Wiebe, has over 20 years of experience in both Sports Medicine and Pelvic Health. Her passion is to return women to fitness and sport after injury and pregnancy. She advocates for the awareness of pelvic health issues in fitness and promotes innovative solutions for women through her blog, videos and social media. She shares her evidence-based, integrative approach internationally with both professionals and women through live and online educational programs.
Her Diaphragm/Pelvic Floor Piston Science concepts have been successfully incorporated by rehab practitioners and fitness professionals into avariety of populations. Julie is a sought after speaker to provide continuing education courses and lectures internationally at clinics, academic institutions, professional organizations, state and national professional conferences.
Find out more and connect with Julie at www.juliewiebept.com or via social media Twitter/FB/IG JulieWiebePT.
Course Material included in this course
Welcome & Resources
Part One Quiz
Core Dysfunction Across the Life Span